Unless you write in the native language of your application container
and remain fully versed in the variety and upgrades, you are in this
same position regardless of your choice of library/compiler/
environment.  If you write apps using Java and suddenly the complier
stopped being compatible with some future version of Windows, you'd be
forced with a rewrite.  If you use JQuery as a javascript library, you
are counting on them to remain current with browser variations..  It's
really an age old problem that is best solved by looking at the
company/organization behind it (Franks point) and other attributes
(like open source, Tonys point).

My .02 USD.....