2009/8/19 Davis Ford <davisf...@zenoconsulting.biz>

> My basic question is: why not just return TextBox if that is what is
> in your view?  The coupling is between 2 classes: view and presenter.
> If you later change TextBox to SuperWidgetTextBox, you can re-factor
> it in your IDE in 5 seconds and be done with it.
>
> Am I missing something?

If that is the way you want to go then fine.

What you might be missing is that some of your views may not be using text
boxes. One view may be using a text box. Another might use a label, another
might use a button, or a text area, or a hyperlink, or a menu item. They can
all display text.

An on/off indicator and a switch are just a boolean and something clickable,
but you don't decide in the presenter that is should be the words 'on' and
'off' and demand a label, you leave it as boolean and let the view decide
whether to put yes/no, on/off, true/false, a checkbox, an image of a
lightbulb on and off, etc - and the clickable thing could be a button with
those words, or a picture of a switch, or the checkbox.

The presenter can be used for all these views. Different views can register
with the same presenter. Users can choose their preferred view and swap
views in and out.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com