Just a follow-up -- in case anyone else here ever encounters this
issue.  I found the root cause.

Running mvn clean gwt:compile fails for me because I now have order-
dependency in the build.

mvn clean wipes out the classes/* directory

gwt:compile then tries to compile the GWT code, but needs classes b/c
it tries to resolve the class specified by the @GinModules annotation.

I discovered this via a total fluke.  I changed some whitespace in the
Eclipse IDE and saved, and lo and behold gwt:compile worked from cmd
line.  I cleaned everything and tried gwt:compile again and it
failed.  Eclipse auto-build creates the /classes/* folder gwt:compile
needs.

I just need to fix my pom.xml to get the order straight (compile java
classes first, then gwt:compile)

Hope this helps anyone else that might run into this subtle issue.