Hi Norman,
After some minor frustration I did get it working...Thanks for your help.

One way that my setup is different from the instructions in the readme.txt
is that rather than creating a vm argument in the debug configuration, I
simply created a conf folder in WEB-INF and copied the config.properties
into it. So I have /war/WEB-INF/conf/config.properties.   This allows me to
use the GWT default debug configuration.

One other question...I am considering modifying the app in my own
environment to not use Maven but instead a structure that is more familiar
to me.  Are there any major pitfalls to altering the structure of Hupa that
you know of?