I don't think the plugin does the copying of files..

If development efficiency is your only concern, you should consider using
the oophm plugin provided by GWT. oophm is a browser plugin that allows your
browser to execute java bytecode instead of compile javascript.

oophm with the -noserver argument allows you to run your server code on the
tomcat installed on the cloud; but still manage to execute client side code
from your local machine. Its perfect for rapid development - because you
just modify java code and refresh the browser to see the changes.

More dough on oophm can be found here -
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM

--Sri