Hi everyone,

I'm currently uploading our latest war files to our server for
deployment. I've noticed even though the JS files are only about
400Kb, all my war files (we have multiple war files for our
deployment) are around 30MB each.

Closer inspection with winzip shows that the majority of this size are
the jars in the lib folder - nearly all of them being GWT client jar
libraries and module libraries. I don't understand why they are needed
in my war files as they are only used for compliation of the client to
JavaScript, not for any servlets.

I haven't been able to Google any answers to why GWT does this or what
would happen if I removed the jars from the deployment, so was
wondering if anyone had an answer to why the war keeps including all
these library jar files, if there is a simple ant script to remove
them from future war files and if I will face any problems with
deployment later on by doing this?

If they jars are just included by default for no reason other than the
build.xml file not being written properly, it would be nice for a
future version of GWT properties file to include an option to remove
these during war file packaging so the wars are only a few hundred Kb
and take minutes to upload over my ADSL connection as opposed to the
hours its taking now!

Just in case, I'm using Netbeans with GWT4NB plugin (just in case its
an issue with that and not GWT)

Thanks,

David