Yes, the sample might be a bit too complex to pin down.

Currently the one online consists of;

1xAbsolute panel tied to the ID ("InfiniteCanvas") on the html page.
This absolute panel I have made extend FocusPanel and implemented to
have MouseListener and MouseWheelListener and gave it the code to
handel the dragging.
This absolute panel also can contain multiple other absolute panels (1
for each layer of the file)
Each of those panels contain various contents, but normal image files
with pngs loaded. (other possibilities include frames of text,html or
canvas objects).

So thats DraggableAbsolutePanel <<  Absolute Panel (s) << Image
widgets.

The background of space is just set as a texture on the first layers
element (background-image:url(images/BACKGROUND.jpg);).

The square in the middle is just the center of the html's table, which
contains the draggable abs panel. The rest of the widgets in the
tables over cell's are just text, buttons, and a custom dropdown box.
None overlay the center, so I suspect the surrounding elements arnt
effecting it.

The event handlers as specified above are just on the center draggable
absolute panel, I havnt specified anything else myself.
I'm using onMouse Up/Leave/Enter/Down and MouseWheel.

My overall goal is just to have a google-mappish interface to a
collection of abstractly arranged (and sized) widgets. Those widgets
and layers being arranged by a standard format XML-like file. In this
example I'm showing it of as a type of comic. The specific idea is
described in Scott McClouds Reinventing Comics, although I think it
will be useful beyond just comics.
The interface currently seems to work nicely in Opera and even
(tolerably) well in IE.  Chrome doesn't seem to load anything at the
moment, but I think thats a separate issue.

I suspect what Thomas Broyer suggested might still be the problem, as
looking in FF when the image is dragged (rather then the background),
you can actually see the image being dragged completely outside the
frame. Like you'd see from dragging any image in FF. This clearly isnt
from my code. I have set draggable to false (see above) but FF seems
to be ignoring this. (or it wasnt the right setting to use).

Thanks.
-Thomas Wrobel