I have a standards mode GWT app, GWT2.0 m2,  and the following CSS
rule.

.mylabel {
  max-width:50px;
  overflow:hidden;
}

This works properly in all browsers except (of course) IE, where the
label width is not actually constrained by max-width.  This is IE8,
btw.

Is there any workaround other than calling  Element.getOffsetWidth()
at runtime and applying a limiting width style if the label is too
wide ?

(I though that GWT was supposed to work around these browser
differences automatically).