Thanks for the suggestion.  I had considered using an expression under
IE, however, according to this MSDN post, expressions are no longer
supported by IE8 in standards mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/10/16/ending-expressions.aspx

But to further your idea, the CSSResource in GWT2 allows conditional
CSS which would make it more straightforward to target individual
browsers instead of relying on a * html rule to be ignored:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/CssResource#Conditional_CSS