After reading the posts, I just had to chime in.  I would like to
start with UIBinder wasn't on my list of reasons for making our team
jump from 1.7 to 2.0 early, but when I finally had a place to use
UIBinder, I became enamoured with it.

The design for any website boils down to HTML/CSS.  If that is how
your page is laid out, then keeping all of the view related stuff in
one place as possible is the best way to go.  That's what UIBinder
lets you do, all of your HTML and CSS in some XML files, which is the
best way to have your layout.  You have the ability to do any web
layout you want there.  The real bang comes with using MVP.  You can
hide all of your touch points to the view behind interfaces and
bundled in a view interface.  Then UIBinder can generate the view
implementation and pop it in.  Plus you can write your own widgets
that you can pop in to the UIBinder and have extra methods if you need
them.

I can understand wanting to do all of the view coding in Java ala
Swing, and depending on the team you have, and if your design specs
allow it, that would be fine.  I don't see any reason GWT doesn't
allow for that with only GWT JAVA layout code and some optional CSS.
But as soon as you're dropping HTML in your JAVA code, or CSS alone
for styling won't do, I think UIBinder becomes a must.

The one thing that should be avoided is 30% of the layout in HTML, 40%
in CSS, and 30% in Java.  If that's what you end up with to get your
view to look right, then you'd be better off having it 80% in UIBinder
with 20% in some globaly shared CSS resources.  And that is definitely
something UIBinder can give you.