I found the culprit. The eclipse plugin preferences file explicity
names gwt-servlet.jar as a file that it must copy to the web-inf/lib
directory. So I assume that SVN (and for me it is Perforce) see that
action as an attempted delete as well. I resolved this myself by
removing that file from web-inf/lib and just letting the plugin have
its way. I tried deleting the offending line from the preferences
file, but the plugin insisted on replacing that line on startup. Odd,
if an application *insists* on a very specific setting regardless of
user intentions or my own preferences, why put the setting in an
external preferences file to begin with?

Regards,
John O'Conner