http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideServerCommunication.html#DevGuideHttpRequests
states, "First, because of the single-threaded execution model of most
web browsers, long synchronous operations such as server calls can
cause a JavaScript application's interface (and sometimes the browser
itself) to become unresponsive. To prevent network or server
communication problems from making the browser "hang", GWT allows only
asynchronous server calls. When sending an HTTP request, the client
code must register a callback method that will handle the response (or
the error, if the call fails)."

Based on the statement above, my understanding is that the http
request is also an async.