This can happen in devmode. I found one today - it was an exception in
a deferred command while manipulating an xml document.
To debug in devmode is relatively easy - simply debug before it breaks
and step through.

In web mode I have encountered a few of these as well. Here is our
approach:

1. Maintain a global action list which tracks most (e.g. Actions.add
("actionname"))
2. In your uncaught exception handler, pull in the action list and
send that back to the server which then logs the result and sends
emails etc.
We also send back the entire page dom structure as an attachment to
the email so we can take a look at the data on the page at the time of
the error.

This has enabled us to find out which customer, what they were doing
and the timing of what they did - then we can easily replicate it in
devmode.

Hope this helps