Hi All,

Thanks for the clear example getaceres.
I think you can come up with plenty examples that the above annotation
idea is just too simple... It's nice ofcourse and welcome but for
bigger app simple not acceptable..

Above you already explain the problems you can have during
compilation.
In larger projects you often have different teams that are responsible
for parts of the software.
Suppose you have a team that does the backend and a team that does the
front end.
Suppose the front-end is using the above notation and all of sudden
the backend team decides to refactor their persist domain model such
that the introduce stuff that is simple not supported by GWT...
Brrrrr...
I don't think you want dependencies like that...  Not even to think
about the consequences for the front-end ...

Said that, there is another good reason to decouple these objects...
Have a look at martin fowler his website, I can remember he having a
nice discussion on his website about DTO's.
Anyway: the DTO's have a completely different purpose then Domain
objects, like the words already explain. DTO's simple transfer results
in a fashion the front-end wants it....
So it's very good possible that you merge the result of several domain
objects and send that as one DTO over the line to the front-end...
Especially in case of large data set's this can save you a lot of
traffic and as such creates a better user experience... Also, in case
of different clients, you can fine tune your results for different
clients..

Probably I can come up with more examples... but I think I made my
point...:)...

Myself I use dozer, I am not very font of it, but it's the best option
I have at this moment. I have to say that I use my own patched dozer
version: fixed some bugs that are still in it, and optimized it, like
for for Hibernate proxy and collection usage.

Cheers,
Ed