I've actually used both and frankly I have been pretty disappointed
with DataNucleus (the JDO/JPA impl that comes with the app engine).
Although using JDO annotations on datanucleus was successful from a
POC point of view, but I couldn't for the love of god get the POJO
attach/detach mechanism to work, something that is crucial when you
have to send objects down to the client, have them sent back with
changes and updated into the datastore. The testcase posted on
datanucleus' website didn't work for me for this scenario and no one
on their forum could advice me on why it was failing.

I've hence abandoned datanucleus for hibernate + gilead. Hibernate
supports JPA annotations as well along with some extentions. I am a
happy clam now :)

The current roadblock I see with GWt and the data model is the absence
of a data binding framework that I can use to bind POJOs to elements
such as grid/tree etc. If I find something that does that (and is
freeware), I'm going to send the author a box of chocolates.