well, yes you can do that in eclipse

but in our case, we also use the very same properties files for
our translations of the server side
and java requires the .properties files to be ISO 8859-1 encoded.

and thus, we need the file-encoding to be ISO 8859-1
and the editor automatically replaces all other characters
with their UTF encoded representation (e.g. 'ä' becomes '\u00E4')

@]matmat["
to get a list of all changed/new/deleted texts between our
release versions we simply make an SVN-diff of the corresponding
versions
since we usually have only a few changes, this works well for us