If it helps, tell the client that google recommends a single module, and
that that's the way they implemented Orkut and Google Wave (that's what my
2min investigation tells me). Google Adwords uses multiple modules, but I
think that's what led to the idea of code-splitting in GWT.

If they still don't agree, take apps that the user is unlikely (or less
likely) to use in the same session, and make them separate modules. For
example, settings/billing is a module that isn't accessed everyday. So when
the user clicks on it, its perhaps okay to download the new nocache.js for
the  module.
Every project typically has 2-3 such independent modules, find out what they
are in your case and move them out. Use the 80-20% rule - the 20% of the
screen that will be used frequently MUST be in a single module to get
performance. The remaining 80%, it'd be nice to convince the client -- but
if not, so be it.

The problem for the client is that if the UI has a common custom widget used
> in a couple of the apps, modifying it would mean retesting all apps that
> make use of it.

You should make a separate module for your common widgets. This module won't
have an entry point, but will be included with all other modules. That way,
you are still able to reuse stuff across your apps. And if you have to
update "Only one app due to some critical fix", you can branch out this
module. So, you get best of both worlds.

*Summary* - Try to use a monolithic module. But if you cannot, at least make
sure that the frequently used parts are present in a single module.

--Sri