I'd say that cleaning up no longer needed handlers is just as
important as closing open files when you're done or freeing memory
that you've allocated. You won't notice the effects at first, but
eventually you will. How soon depends on the cases under which your
application creates handlers). Eventually, you'll see event delivery
taking longer and longer because your event bus is busy notifying
handlers that you don't care about anymore.

There's a reason why the handler manager goes to the trouble of
returning a handler registration. There's no way for it to know that
you're done with the handler. This is one of those cases where garbage
collection wouldn't even help you because the handler manager has to
hold a reference to the handler (unless you use weak references, but
I'm pretty sure we don't have those in the JDK emulation layer).

It's not too difficult to keep track of handler registrations. I often
make a collection to hold them. Just add them all to the collection in
your bind method and unregister everything (and clear the collection)
in your unbind method.

-Brian