On Apr 19, 2:09 am, Chris Lercher <cl_for_mail...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I agree. I just don't see any advantage for GWT in this case. So I'd
> say, that using it only makes sense, if there are other reasons, which
> weren't expressed in the question.
>
> By the way, GWT uses NekoHTML, too (it's in gwt-dev.jar). Why do you
> prefer the HTML parser you mentioned?

Because it implements the HTML5 parsing rules, algorithm that has been
written to predictably parse web pages as found "in the wild", with
results that are as close as possible as what browsers do today (when
they disagree, a choice had to be done obviously), and which browsers
are implementing today for their next version. Moreover, this
particular implementation is AFAIK the on that ships in Firefox (not
as the default parser for now, but will be soon), after being
translated to C++ (by a script); it is also the one used to back the
HTML5 validator at validator.nu and validator.w3.org.
So I tend to believe its results more than any other "tag soup
parser".
(oh, and for the story htmlparser.validator.nu has successfully been
compiled with GWT! ;-) )

BTW, GWT doesn't "use neko", it uses HTMLUnit (which happens to use
NekoHTML as its parser).