Hi Stefan,

you are going to mix classical web technology and ajax-based.
This does not really match.
This is as useful as to put wings to your car. After doing so your car
neither flies nor drives
(not sure whether this is comprehensive in english,
Das was Sie versuchen ist so sinnvoll wie Flügel an Ihrem Auto
anzubringen. Danach kann es weder fliegen noch fahren)

classical technology loads multiple pages
ajax-driven loads on page at startup and then communicates "netto"
data.

I would recommend only to have a starter-url for a GWT-App within your
classical portlet page.

However, there is an open source project which talks about jsr 168.
http://code.google.com/p/gwtportlets/

I did not investigated it because I disagree with this approach

SSO is an other topic.
SSO depends in general from being able to redirect page.
This does not work with AJAX-driven apps, at least not out of the box.

When a ticket is going invalid, you have no way from the servlet to
redirect to an other page.
The request you get is a RPC without a visible page.

The server may send the GWT-App a request to open an second window for
doing authentication. This may work.
But your application must collaborate

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de