Hi Stefan and Stefan

Stefan Bachert wrote:

SSO is an other topic.
SSO depends in general from being able to redirect page.
This does not work with AJAX-driven apps, at least not out of the box.

I would have thought that the correct way to handle SSO is a servlet filter in the web application server. As an example, I was planning on having a simple signup/login page on my "main" web site. Once the user is authenticated then they can navigate to my GWT app with a servlet filter that checks that they are signed on, if not redirects them back to the login page. With Tomcat (for example) it can just use the standard tomcat authentication approach. Other servers have similar mechanisms (after all, its part of the servlet spec.)

IMHO its not the duty of the app to manage authentication/login etc. A good example is Gmail - you login to your Google account on a separate page and then go to the app itself.

Alan

When a ticket is going invalid, you have no way from the servlet to
redirect to an other page.
The request you get is a RPC without a visible page.

The server may send the GWT-App a request to open an second window for
doing authentication. This may work.
But your application must collaborate

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de