We're doing a technology evaluation and one of the candidate
technologies is GWT. I'm working on implementing some basic features
of our new application and so far things mostly make sense but I'm
seeing some behavior that I don't understand.

Below I have included the relevant class file. I'm sure that it's
somewhat crude - feel free to make suggestions if you are so
motivated. :-)

The problem is that none of the text is actually visible. Firefox says
that it's there but it can't actually be seen.  I would really like to
understand why and what I need to fix.

Thank you,

Donald

package edu.stsci.client;

import com.google.gwt.user.client.Timer;
import com.google.gwt.core.client.EntryPoint;
import com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT;
import com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.AsyncCallback;
import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.*;

/**
 * Entry point classes define <code>onModuleLoad()</code>.
 */
public class dads implements EntryPoint
{
    private static final int REFRESH_INTERVAL = 5000; // ms

    /**
     * Create a remote service proxy to talk to the server-side Status
service.
     */
    private final StatusServiceAsync statusService =
GWT.create(StatusService.class);

    final Label upLabel = new Label();
    final Label downLabel = new Label();

    /**
     * This is the entry point method.
     */
    public void onModuleLoad()
    {
        SplitLayoutPanel p = new SplitLayoutPanel();

        FlexTable nav = new FlexTable();

        nav.setText(0,0, "DADS Status");
        nav.getFlexCellFormatter().setColSpan(0,0,2);

        nav.setText(1, 0, "Up:");
        nav.setWidget(1, 1, upLabel);
        nav.setText(2, 0, "Down:");
        nav.setWidget(2, 1, downLabel);

        p.addWest(nav, 128);

        HTML header = new HTML("<h1>DADS Web Operator Interface</
h1>");
        p.addNorth(header, 40);

        HTML body = new HTML("details");
        p.add(body);

        RootPanel.get().add(p);

        setupUpdateTimer();
    }

    private void setupUpdateTimer()
    {
        // Setup timer to refresh list automatically.
        Timer refreshTimer = new Timer()
        {
            @Override
            public void run()
            {
                refreshServerStatus();
            }
        };
        refreshTimer.scheduleRepeating(REFRESH_INTERVAL);
    }

    private void refreshServerStatus()
    {
        statusService.statusServer("server", new UpdateLabels());
    }

    class UpdateLabels
            implements AsyncCallback<String>
    {
        public void onFailure(Throwable caught)
        {
            System.out.println("[dads.onFailure] enter.");
            upLabel.setText("not available");
            downLabel.setText("not available");
        }

        public void onSuccess(String result)
        {
            System.out.println("[dads.onSuccess] result: " + result);
            String[] strings = result.split(",");
            upLabel.setText(strings[0]);
            downLabel.setText(strings[1]);