Hi Donald:

According to
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/2.0/com/google/gwt/user/client/ui/SplitLayoutPanel.html
,
you must attach a SplitLayoutPanel to the RootLayoutPanel, not the
RootPanel. I'm guessing that you don't see the text due to the CSS
positioning attributes.

Also, as that page indicates
"This widget will *only* work in standards mode, which requires that the
HTML page in which it is run have an explicit <!DOCTYPE> declaration." That
declaration may be present, it's not clear from the post.

Cheers,
jec