Nope, and the alternate plan won't work either; since GWT1.5 the code
has made full use of the generics and other features available in Java
1.5.  To use java 1.4 you'd have to go back to GWT 1.4, and I don't
believe the RPC formats are compatible such that you could do the
server in 1.4 and the client in 2.0.