Thanks to Sripathi a couple of months ago for letting me that there is
a Dictionary class in GWT, which is used to access javascript objects
in the hosting file.

com.google.gwt.i18n.client.Dictionary.

Therefore, for data that is dynamic per session startup but need not
be dynamic while the page is running, I use JSP to construct the GWT
hosting/launching file dynamically to define javascript vars, prior to

e.g., on being called, the JSP accesses whatever data it needs and
translates it into json, which is then assigned to a javascript var.

Or, I could have static configs js, containing the json objects,
included by the gwt hosting/launching  static html file.

On the onModuleLoad of the gwt entrypoint, I then have  a Dictionary
object to read and navigate the javascript var to access the json
tree.