To my knowledge the adoption rate is increasing constantly. Three
years ago only enthusiasts heard of that framework. Today, every
decent developer coming to interview either heard or used GWT in a
project or prototype. But this could be only our local situation.

GWT main limitation right now is that there is no consolidated MVP,
Data Binding, Cool Widgets library, which would be available free of
charge. Version 2.1 is making things easier, but I am afraid it will
take a couple of more iterations to gets the things stabilized and
unified.

If we talk about highly interactive web-based application the solution
now is either GWT or native JS libraries on top of traditional MVC
framework like Spring MVC or Struts (just my opinion). There is also
JSF, Wicket and ZK, but they do not have the momentum of GWT. So if
you are not JS Expert and have to build Rich Internet App there are
not too many options...

BTW take a look at Vaadin. It is an alternative way of how GWT gets
further popularized.

Dmitry