I think we'r missing a point here. GWT is suited for web 2.0 apps not
websites. As long as the legacy code will continue to be maintained, people
may not consider moving away from JS libs but yes for all new web apps,
GWT's team has done an awesome job of teaming up with Spring Roo guys which
will help GWT invade the market where Spring stack of technologies is widely
deployed. On the other hand, Roo's code generation may help hide the
boilerplate aspects of GWT apps. So it's a win win for GWT now.

cheers,
Nabeel