Layout panels prefer to be nested inside of layout panels, there are
other ways around this ( you found one). This is one of the reasons
why when using LayoutPanels you need to attach them to
RootLayoutPanel.get() instead of RootPanel.get().

So to answer your question, change the HelloMVP example to remove the
SimplePanel and just use our DockLayoutPanel instead or you could swap
the SimplePanel for a Layout panel. Then just attach it to a
RootLayoutPanel

see http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiPanels.html
for more info.