When targeting App Engine it isn't developer productivity I am so concerned
about but rather user experience as well as cascading failures caused by an
initial request failure should the additional time required to fire up
Spring DI cause the initial request to go over the allotted total time as
per the request quota; Google will throttle back starting up new servers to
service requests. Like I said previously, this causes cascading failures.

My mantra for targeting App Engine is Lean & Mean!

Jeff

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM, Stephen Haberman
<step...@exigencecorp.com>wrote:

> Hi Shawn,
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> Moving off JDO and Spring MVC (the web framework, not DI) seemed to be
> the biggest startup time wins, which is in line with my assertion that
> DI itself is not typically the bottleneck.
>
> That being said, the streamhead link:
>

> http://www.streamhead.com/google-appengine-java-loading-request-analysis/
>
> Was the most interesting because he truly did DI/no-DI comparison
> (trusting his approach anyway), and saw base DI adding 1s overhead.
>
> That is more than I would have guessed, but given it's Spring, I guess
> I can believe it.
>
> I do enjoy seeing startup time highlighted--way too many pointy haired
> managers (or architects) don't think 10s+, 30s+, 60s+ app startups times
> affect their developers' productivity. It's terribly frustrating.
>
> Thanks again,
> Stephen

Jeff