In my opinion, a full website can be built with GWT (uiBinder is a great
helper for this).
This is the way that we chose in our company. it is really fantastic to code
with gwt and it allows to use so many optimizations for the client side
(client bundle, conditional css, ...).
Every pages of the website is behind a code split so it does not overload
the inital loading of the gwt client side.
For Search engine, we implemented this mechanism :
http://code.google.com/intl/fr/web/ajaxcrawling/docs/getting-started.html with
htmlunit in the backend.,But it is only compatible with google.
We are looking for a better solution to handle this problem for all search
engine.

Nicolas.