Your ajax calls should be asynchronous so your client-side ui shouldn't be
slowed down by making the calls to the servlet to handle the lookup. Are you
sure you aren't making synchronous calls to the server? Also, use direct dom
manipulation over the widget supplied methods; get a widget's dom element
via its getElement method.

Jeff

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM, MickeyR <mnroo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything similar to using java threads that I can use in my
> client side code ?
>
> In my application a user types a search term into a Text box. For
> every character typed in my code goes and searches in a dataset for
> results containing the search string. These results are then returned
> and displayed in a List. But the problem is that because my search +
> display code is so slow, it makes the typing in very sluggish for the
> user (i.e. they can’t type the next character in until the search +
> display code has returned).
>
> Ideally I’d like to run the search+display code in a separate thread –
> so that the user can continue to type in the Text box. But I
> understand that threads are not supported in GWT client-side coding ?
> Or is it possible to have the search + display in an only client-side
> asynchronous call ?
>
> Any help, much appreciated,
> M.

*Jeff Schwartz*