This conceptual leak between activity, presenters and places has also
confused me quite a bit. Now that I understand it (slightly) better I
think part of the confusion is caused by the fact that GWT expects you
to build your own presenter/view separation and doesn't provide base
classes or interfaces for presenters themselves. Instead it expects
you to use composition (with an EventBus, with an Activity, etc.) to
build the functionality you need when you need it.

This is a contrast to previous MVP frameworks. For example, gwt-
platform offers two different concepts:
- Presenter
  The base class for a presenter that is also an activity (and
optionally a place).
- PresenterWidget
  The base class for a reusable presenter that is only meant to
separate logic form view.

There are advantages and drawbacks to offering base classes for
presenters, but my guess is that most people using GWT's MVP will need
to build at least a small scaffolding of base classes similar to the
above.

Cheers,

    Philippe