On 12/01/2010 04:03 PM, eggsy84 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone explain to me why you cannot include Google web toolkit
> scripts Asynchronously like Google Analytics:
>
> http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/12/google-analytics-launches-asynchronous.html
>
> I ask because my GWT code is ultimately going to be used on a variety
> of websites (using the XS linker) and if for any reason my server is
> down and cannot process a request for the Javascript then it has the
> effect of preventing the website from loading due to synchronous
> nature if Web browser script evaluation.
>
> I have tried including my GWT *.nocache.js like Google do for their
> Analytics but it fails to load the subsequent browser specific
> compiled units as it tries to obtain them from an incorrect location.
> It seems to be due to the base URL not being defined.

Notice that the GA code bootstraps from the user's server.

You'll probably want something similar, in that you provide a bootstrap
function that loads from your customer's site. That function then loads
your GWT code. If the load fails, it fails on your customer's site, not
your site. You can take action since your customer's page has loaded,
but with an exception (it hasn't loaded your GWT code).

There may be other, unexplored complications to this solution.