Thanks for the tips.
I am a bit suprised about what you told about the wave usage.
If I look at the safeHtml code, it might not be mature enough and more
suitable for hello-world applications.
I get a bit flashbacks when writing this as many gwt code has been upgraded
after iterations to be more suitable for enterprise app's. I remember that
Wave made me very happy because it resulted in mature code

Anyway let me describe a very common situation out here where many gwt
developers always struggle with:
gwt connected to a backend cms to retrieve all texts.
I assume that you know that most cms's allow you to write html text with
online html editors.
So your description and the SimpleSanitizer isn't very suitable for this
situation as the business will kill me when the text appears escaped online.
Of course the SimpleSanitizer is just simple like the name indicates, but
maybe it should be moved to the test  suite as I don't think it's very
useful.
I think it would be useful if there would exists a default santizer that
will allow any html tag with only a class attribute as for most cms
situations this is enough.