I don't see how devmode could affect the font render path.

FWIW, you shouldn't need to use the production server to use the compiled
output. If you run a GWT compile and then hit your devmode server like usual
but strip the ?gwt.codesvr fragment, then the embedded Jetty will serve up
the version you just compiled.