Alright, now I get it!

To bundle RPC functionality in a reusable (.jar) GWT module you only need to
declare any RPC servlet in the module's module descriptor. That's all.
"gwt:mergewebxml" will create appropriate servlet mappings in the target
web.xml. It's really that easy.

Make sure the .jar really  contains the module descriptor (*.gwt.xml) and
that the RPC servlets are actually declared in it. If you try it with a
module that used to be an application and only declared its RPC servlets
directly in its web.xml you won't be able to use them via "gwt:mergewebxml"
AFAIK.

Check the contents of the .jar file. Does it contain the module descriptor?
Does the module descriptor contain <servlet> tags for the RPCs?