Thanks for the tip.
I did look at the rewrite option, but not so font of the rewrite modules,
very powerful do.
I wasn't aware of the mod_filer combi with mod_deflate. I like that one,
very simple:
FilterDeclare gzip CONTENT_SET
FilterProvider gzip inflate req=Accept-Encoding !$gzip
FilterChain gzip

I like the idea: mostly the browser do support gzip anyway, just for those
stoneage browsers, you simple inflate the gzip just before sending it...
That's better then the other way around: zipping when they support gzip (as
they almost always do).

BTW: I think I am going to put my static stuff in the public folder, such
that I use the precompressor power and some other benefits... These aren't
resusable components anyway (application endpoints), so that's ok if you ask
me..

BTW: I am running in noserver mode, so I have 2 deployment deliverables: war
and gzip file for Apache. So all my static stuff is located under Apache.
BTW: you could cache your css file infinte just like the gwt cache files
policy if you let maven add a version/build number on a new build (just like
gwt does with his md5 files), such that your css files are always unique...
Yahoo does this as well, and it's easy done: rename the css and replace the
css link....