Thanks,
I used to the public folder in the past but didn't like it in reusable
components as you always got the public resources in your project when using
the reusable component, even if you didn't use or want them :(...
Where do you put your static resources ?

Another thing:
I am not sure if MultiViews it the way to use it on Apache as MultiViews is
used for language negotiation (as I understand it) and means that the
requested file should "not" be present, but it should be present with an
extension.

For example:
Request: bla.nocache.js
the file bla.nocache.js is not allowed to be present on the server. If this
file is present, it will not look for any better (gz) version, and directly
return this file.
What should be present for example:
bla.nocache.js.en
bla.nocache.js.gz.en

Then it will return the file that best meets the browser properties, such
that it will return "bla.nocache.js.gz.en".

I got this working with the following config for a directory section in
Apache:
 Options +MultiViews
 AddEncoding x-gzip .gz .tgz
 AddLanguage en .en

But that means that I have to rename all files to have a language extension
:(.. Which is not really the path I want to go in to.
Do I overlook something, or is this really the way to go?
See also: http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-apache-lang-neg