Thanks to all for the feedback - just wanted to share some
reactions....
1. I was surprised by the lack of responses re: restlets - that seemed
to be a promising technology
2. Some of the suggestions/links seemed a little bit over my head -
but that is probably just because my head is at a pretty low place :).

But, pondering this a little more, I thought of a different approach
that might make a lot more sense.  The bottom line is that my
application will need an API that can be called by many clients,
including the GWT UI that we would like to build.  I was thinking of
trying to expose the Service API that is in the GWT application.  But
wouldn't another approach be to build a RESTful interface to my data
as the API and then use that API from my GWT application (as there
seem to be standard ways of accessing REST APIs from the GWT server
side).  Other apps could get to the REST API using whatever method
they chose and I don't have to end up implementing the API twice.

Thoughts and comments are definitely appreciated!  Esp those using
short words :).

RB