I did try it myself but was not getting the correct answer (it didnt
match the pattern).

I suspected GWT RegExp being a thin wrapper, but was not sure, and you
never know.

I didn't try it in JavaScript because again, GWT bridges the world of
Java and JavaScript,
as a result one cannot be certain what works in either of the two,
work as expected in GWT.

after I simplified my pattern, I got it to work.
however when I posted this question, I already had spent quite some
time on it.