Here's the question you want to ask yourself: "Why am I using an
AsyncDataProvider and data paging?"

Because I use one in my app with sortable columns.  And I'm using one
because I've got thousands to tens of thousands of rows of data to
display.  And since I don't want to try to download all that data in
one go, I sort things on the server (actually, I sort the data within
the database, and get a scrollable results set with everything in the
right order).

If you really have a little enough data that you want to sort it on
the client, do yourself a favor, and just download all the data and
don't use the AsyncDataProvider at all.

Greg