This is basically what I have implemented in my system as well.  Our
user roles are in the DB and I keep a copy on the client so all of the
presenters can inspect it to see what the user can do.

I should mention that double-checking the permissions on the server
side for all requests is a very good idea.  A clients words are not to
be trusted.

-Ben