If uninstalling and reinstalling actually solved the problem, then
perhaps something had locally corrupted your GPE installation. That
specific error looked like something we might see in conjunction with
an bad or incomplete update/install. Updating to the latest GWTD build
(which is basically a reinstall as it updates all of the GWTD plugins)
would solve also have likely solved the problem.

The latest GPE beta does not include the latest GWT Designer build as
GWT Designer is refreshed more frequently.