Ryan, you're correct. Nothing on the server gets called until you fire() the
request, so your default properties won't be immediately available on the
client, unfortunately.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Ryan McFall <mcfall.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you referring to the create method on the client (in my
> RequestContext sublcass), or the create method in the Locator (which I
> believe would be run on the server)?
>
> I think you're referring to the client-side create method; my question
> about create is mostly what the server-side version is used for.
>
> The context of the question is this:  I have a Boolean property for my
> domain object.  If I RequestContext.create a proxy and then try to
> access the Boolean, I get null.  My domain object sets this property
> to a default value in its constructor, but the constructor is not
> called if all I do on the client is RequestContext.create the proxy.
> I was hoping to be able to write default values for properties in a
> single place.  The domain object on the server seems to be the most
> logical place.  Currently it seems that I need to save the new proxy
> on the server after RequestContext.create'ing the proxy for this to
> happen.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Jun 23, 3:36 pm, Kevin Anderson <kev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The purpose of the create method is to associate a request context with
> the
> > newly created object. It has to be done through the RequestContext so
> that
> > it can be managed and all the goodies that come with request factory can
> be
> > enforced.

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools