Hi Kevin,

There are several hundred projects within Google using GWT and more are
being written or rewritten all the time. Some of the major ones:

AdWords UI
AdSense UI
Blogger (
http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/14/half-a-billion-blog-posts-later-google-to-give-blogger-a-revamp/
)
Groups (new UI)
Doclist (the folders in docs, both desktop and mobile versions)
Parts of Maps / Geo

Follow us @googledevtools for more announcements still to come.

For a broader view of companies using GWT, have a look at the companies
featured in this year's Developer Tool Sandbox at I/O (
http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/sandbox.html#developer-tools) as well
as the case studies posted on the GWT doc site (
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/casestudies/index.html). Also note that
this forum continues to add members at the rate of ~500 / mo. GWT is still
growing.

Also watch trunk on SVN. Googlers continue to improve GWT every day, and
lots of the new features in the last year have been driven by Google
projects (notably UIBinder, Activities and Places, and cell widgets).

The real question is whether GWT is a good fit for your project. We
generally find that teams with strong Java experience writing rich,
desktop-like apps benefit the most from GWT. Lots of people on this forum
will tell you that if you start with pure JS and your code base grows,
you'll soon reach a point where you wish you'd written in GWT. Don't kid
yourself--there is a learning curve, especially for server-side developers
not used to writing asynchronous, event-driven clients, but if your project
is a good fit, you won't look back.

/dmc

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Kevin Anderson <kev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize that this question was asked in this thread, but seeing as the
> response was a few years old I thought I would pose the question again.
>
> At work there has been a ton of discussion (putting it nicely) about the
> use of GWT inside the organization. It doesn't seem to be enough to those
> opposing the use of GWT to point out the several production applications
> running to the not so many "pure" javascript applications running. With the
> recent release of Google+ the topic has arisen again with those in the
> opposite camp pointing out that Google+ source appears to not be using any
> GWT. They are using this to argue that not even Google is using GWT to build
> their suite of products.
>
> So, sorry for posing another question about this, but I would be curious
> about an updated list of Google products that use GWT.  Thanks.

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, GWT+GAE
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://turbomanage.wordpress.com/