What framework are you using to connect to the datastore?

I've not used JDO or JPA, but in Objectify you can set an offset and a
limit on a query. In onRangeChanged you can get them like this:
Range range = display.getVisibleRange();
Integer offset = range.getStart();
Integer limit = range.getLength();

So there's no need to work with cursors. If this functionality is not
exposed through your datastore layer you could always use the low
level api.