Also, GWT added support for Java 5 when Java 1.4 reached EOL, and Java 6 was
already released, and GWT does not officially support Java 6 (that's going
to change, and a few features are already there, such as @Override on
implementations of interface methods, and String#isEmpty); let's hope it'll
be faster for Java 7, but don't be too impatient IMO.

Are you sure this is true? I thought 1.6 is supported as of 2.3, but not
required. 1.6 will be required in future releases of GWT however (it may be
required for 2.3, i'm not sure) but I know commits to trunk are going in
with @Override on interface methods, so in order to get stuff to compile 1.6
will be required.