GWT requiring a Java6 JVM is different from officially supporting Java 6
language features in what the GWT Compiler accepts as input ;-)

(I believe Java 6 is supported –as I said, at least some features already
are, for quite some time, and I've almost always been using Java 6
compliance level in Eclipse without any issue–, what I don't know is whether
we can call it "official support" for Java 6 –a couple features might not be
enough for that claim, or maybe they are?–)