There is a google IO session which covers speeding up the compile
process during development, it is in the second half of a talk on the
compiler in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6ZsQBM7kY

Also, if you are working on client side code, a lot of the time you
don't need to go through the whole re-compile process. You can simple
edit your client side .java files, save, then refresh your browser.
GWT will recompile just the changed code.