I m pretty sure the GWT team is allready on making  dev mode run even
faster.
I heard they are obsessed about speed @Google :)
But  when you think about it a second  what devmode does you will see that
performance is pretty good right now. I mean this is Javabyte code remotelly
manipulating  your browser. To be able to run the way it does at the moment
is pretty impressive to me.

GWT API for  non Java based platforms
http://code.google.com/p/gwt4air/
http://www.gwt4air.appspot.com/